Fudge Trivia - Did you know...
- The name Fudge is thought to come from a happy accident. It is reputed that a confectioner was making caramel when he botched (fudged) the recipe (Verb “To fudge” means “to botch”).
- The origins of modern fudge are unknown. Many historians believe that it started life in the mid 19th Century in America. However “Tablet” is mentioned in the household book of Lady Grissell Baillie in the 18th Century. Both the UK and US claim it as their own invention.
- The American Style Fudge is much smoother and creamier than the traditional tablet which has a firmer slightly crumbly texture. Our fudge is based on the creamier American style.
- The songwriter Cole Porter who wrote “I get a kick” was a fudge connoisseur and used to have a batch of fudge shipped to him each Month.
- In Michigan USA, Mackinac Island holds an Annual Fudge Festival in the 4th week of August.